OK, Sorry for the delay on this blog post but I just kept forgetting to upload the video to Vimeo which I can really only do overnight, otherwise my sister cant watch iplayer, freaks out and starts resetting the internet…
Anyway! So we decided to do some DIY, or to put it in full, I wanted to, brought the stuff, then Jamie needed a tyre replaced so didn’t have time so Jamie went DIY when I wasn’t there, which to be honest was a good thing judging by the 5 minutes I spent helping out (bodging everything whilst Jamie worked away making sure everything was perfect!)
As you already know and as I have only just remembered myself Jamie has already done a blog post regarding the building of our latest creation, the Snorri-cam, so I wont go into the ins and outs of that but I shall talk a little about the video we produced once the building was complete.
It didn’t really take a genius to come up with this idea, to be honest I think any man would jump at the chance. The idea for the video consisted of two lads (myself and Jamie) meeting up at Jamie’s house, getting horribly drunk, having a fight and then making up. Very very stereotypical but a lot of fun. Throughout the shooting we just tried to get as many Snorri-cam shots to see what would work out and what we could use in the end, I think we were both very surprised at the amount of awesome shots we got out of it. Obviously just so it wasn’t all disorientating Snorri-cam shots we used a few tripod shots to break it up and help the viewer get a grip on what was going on.
We also decided to shoot this in anamorphic, due to two factors, the first being that obviously it makes the shot look more cinematic and the second being that because it crops the image it gave us a bit more room to play with the mounting of the Snorri-cam as sometimes it can be quite obvious under someones shirt. Thanks to the way Jamie built the Snorri-cam we were able to mount the camera on our chests and backs and have numerous different angles to film from so it wasn’t always the same shot of someones face.
When it came to editing we chose a song that we felt really fitted the style we were looking for and I choose to edit it in quite an erratic way with lots of cuts and changes of shot to give quite a drunken feel, obviously the colour correction was handed over to Jamie who chose not to do anything drastic but simply level the footage out and make it look more filmic.
When it came to choosing a name for our short we were completely stuck, we wanted something that suited the video but also appealed to our subscriber base on youtube. In the end we resorted to a “random film name” generator on the internet and it chucked out “Slacking With Dr. Monkey,” Perfect!
For some reason my brain doesn’t seem to be working today so I apologise if this blog is a bit all over the place.